Monday, June 30, 2014

6 for the books that we call sticks

This week was an adventure-as usual- but lets start with our golden investigator Maria Pinto! She is the next to be baptized and has seriously been so prepared by the Lord! She used to be taught by missionaries years ago and still had the Book of Mormon and restoration pamphlet in her house. She lost touch cause she´d work a lot, but we found her contacting on the street. It´s so incredible to see how even though you may teach someone only once and never see them again the seed is truly planted and in the future will give fruit. She accepts everything we teaches, she prays when she goes home about everything we teach her and receives answers that it´s true. It´s funny cause when we taught her about modern day prophets she was stunned, that night she went home and prayed about it and opened her Book of Mormon and it talked about prophets and baptism. She was so excited for us to come over so she could tell us, and when she told us the page where she found her answer I didn´t read anything there about prophets, but its interesting how when someone needs an answer from the Lord he´ll put what they need on the pages. Recently we taught her about the Word of Wisdom and asked if she consumed any tea or coffee, she said she drank coffee and we told her she could have a substitute coffee drink here called "Ecco" which is made from wheat and she said "Oh! That´s what I drink, I can´t have the real kind cause it makes me sick." It was so awesome to see how the Lord has been preparing her for this moment, tonight we´re gonna have an FHE with her and a member family- she´ll be baptized in July.

I also had a little adventure in Downtown Santiago friday. I had to go with my daughter Hna.Fullmer and another missionary Hna.Nielson to renew my carnet (chilean ID) and to get them theirs for the 1st time. They changed some of the places where we had to go so I got totally lost and almost missed our appt. but thankfully we made it just in time! While we waited I contacted the people sitting around me, mostly all from Peru or Colombia, I love talking to strangers, especially the foreigners (they´re a lot nicer than the Chileans)! There was an empty seat next to me so I read the Conferene issue of the Liahona while I waited for my next victim to approach and it was a man from Peru, and actually her contacted me! He said "Excuse me but do you know how to work this website?" and when I looked it was FamilySearch.org! haha! I was like "YES! Of course I do!" really I think it was an excuse to talk to me, turns out him and all his family for like 3 generations are members in Peru, he had lost touch with the church but was thinking of coming back, so I encouraged him to do it and talked about all his fun memories he had in the church as a child. 3 hours later they finally stamped and registered our Visas but we need to go back friday to pick up our new carnets.

This week Pdt. &Hna. Essig left and we got our new mission president Pdt. & Hna. Videla. Even though I´m gonna miss the Essigs a ton I´m happy that they live sorta nearby in Logan and also that our new mission president is Chilean so he´s gonna help us a lot more on how to get in with the people and culture! We had special changes last night so I spoke with him briefly on the phone and he seems like a funny guy. He said "Hna.Ibarra how are you and our companions?" I said, "We´re doing great!" he said "Oh, good! You´re the only one´s in the mission doing great, everyone else is sad that Pdt. & Hna. Essig left, but their just gonna have to work with what they got now." hahaha! Tomorrow we´re gonna meet him in a conference so should be fun!

This week I also lost my agenda, that was sad. I can only compare it to losing a cell phone. All my life for the past 6 weeks were gone and all my plans for the next 6 weeks blank. I had no idea what to do with myself and I had a lot of important addresses from people I had talked to. Luckily our Zone Leader had an exchange and the member that went with them to an appt found it and gave it to him!!! My pen was still in the spine and everything! Tender mercy :)

To wrap up the week we spent all weekend packing up our entire house and all morning with the Elders moving into their old place where they moved from. It blows my mind everytime how much junk you accumulate, I hadn´t had to pack in over 7 months so I was over it after 1 box, but we finally got settled into our new place this morning. It´s not as nice as where we were, but doable. Theres just a leak of gas in the kitchen and a pipe that bangs so hard it almost busts threw the wall everytime we flush the toilet...nbd.

"Whether truth emerges from a scientific laboratory or through revelation, all truth emanates from God. All truth is part of the gospel of Jesus Christ."-Elder Russell M. Nelson


xo,
Hna.Ibarra

No comments:

Post a Comment