Monday, November 18, 2013

Elder Holland!!!

So monday after our p-day we went to Hna. Stanger, the office secretarie`s apt. for a slumber party!!! It was us 4 sisters from Curacavi and the 4 sisters from Llay Llay (pronounced yay yay) cause we are the farthest from the rest of the mission and needed to be in Santiago early to hear from Elder Holland live and in person!!! We woke up at 4 am, got ready, and met with the office elders at 5:30 am to walk to the metro and be there when the doors open at 6 am. We made the long trip to La reina and got to the chapel at 6:45 to get desent seats for the event. It was a historical meeting, for the 1st time ever all 4 missions in Santiago (Santiago North, South, East and West) were gathered and about 1000 missionaries were present. Hna. Broadhead and I got great seats in the 7th row, not that it was necessary to sit that close cause I`m sure the people in the streets could hear how hard Elder Holland was banging the pulpit! It wasn`t supposed to start until 10am so meanwhile we went around and said hi to our friends and old companions. I saw my daughter (trainee) Hna.Dodds for the 1st time in months since I began her training and it was great to see everyone. What was even more great was that I got to see President and Hermana Barreiros from the Weston ward!!! It was such a happy reunion, I haven`t sen them since they moved to Georgia and they are now the mission presidents of the Santiago West mission! I gave Hna.Barreiros the biggest embrace and President Barreiros a firm handshake although our eyes conveyed that a simple handshake wasn`t enough to express our feelings and happiness, but since we can`t hug I gave him an air hug and were so happy to see eachother. They begged me to come over for dinner when I finish the mission so I`m certain I`ll see them sometime in the future again. Finally, the oh so awaited moment came, Elder Holland entered the building and the ranks of missionaries all arose. He hadn`t even entered the chapel yet, but I could here his voice in the hallway and my heart skipped a beat. It wasn`t the 1st time I`ve heard Elder Holland speak in person. I heard him once in conference as well as at the ground breaking for the Provo City Center Temple, but this time was special, because he wasn`t talking to the church in general...he was talking to me personaly, as a missionary. If I could copy and past everything he said in that meeting I would, suffice it to say that Elder Holland is a great man who loves the gospel, the Lord, and serves Him. He made direct eye contact with me once and it was as if he were looking into my very soul! His sweet wife oh so temderly expressed her love for all of us as if we we`re her own children. Elder Holland came in after with the hammer and chewed us all out in his pulpit banging but loving way. He mainly spoke about how he doesn`t understand how returned missionaries can go inactive after such a testimony and faith building experience that is the mission. He said that if we do he will haunt us and slash our tires and put pepper in our empanadas, LOL! He is seriously such a funny guy, I laughed so hard, I`d never seen that side of him! Of all the wonderful things the Lord spake through him one sentence struck me the most, "This moment in missionary work ranks with the First Vision, the coming forth of the Book of Mormon and the restoration of the gospel." Let me repeat myself in case you didn`t catch it, "This moment in missionary work ranks with the First Vision, the coming forth of the Book of Mormon and the restoration of the gospel." WOW. That is a pretty BIG DEAL! This is a historic moment in the church, and what a blessing it is to be a part of it. The best part is you don´t have to wear a plaque to do so, every member can be a part of it too by sharing the gospel with your friends, families, and neighbors, going out with the missionaries, doing temple work, and going after the lost sheep because it is all part of the Work of Salvation! 

Beside the incredible blessing of hearing from an apostle other great things have happened this week. It`s starting to warm up down in the Southern Hemisphere so my tan complexion is coming back...YESSSS! Also, we have Henrique y Victorias baptism this sunday, they are so excited, they can`t wait for the day to come! Monica is also progressing and has stopped smoking this week. She is seeing the Lord`s hand in her life, her husband whom she was sepperated from moved back into the house and her whole family is reunited, her son has healed from his wound, and she is the happiest she`s ever been since we met her! She is seeing the joy the blessings of the gospel brings and it is so amazing to see the radical change that has taken over her heart since we first met her. Elvis has also stopped smoking this week and is progressing towards baptism, he`ll have to get a special interview from President for some past sins, but it`s beautiful to see the effort he`s been making to turn his life around and be a new person. Speaking of which, President called us yesterday and asked us to come in for an interview...dun dun dun! I swear my whole mission flashed before my eyes and I tried to think if I`ve done anything wrong or been disobedient in anyways, but honestly can`t think of anything!!! What`s weirder is that our zone is scheduled for interviews this thursday, so I don´t understand what it is that can`t wait until then. Literally every possible scenario has crossed my mind from being called as the AP (asistant to the president) to someone dying in my family JAJAJA Cross your fingers it`s good news! Anyways, love you all, thank you for all your supportive letters and e-mails! Until, next week :)

Spiritual Cookie: "The reason I`m standing here today, is because I found heaven on a mission." -Elder Holland

p.s. Ian I got your dear elder! Hopefully if you`re in Miami for christmas you`ll get a letter from me via Nathaly, hit her up!

xoxo,
Hna. Ibarra

No comments:

Post a Comment